The NLP Model, including its techniques and patterns, offers a wide range of skills that are available for the Communications Essentials graduate to develop. Below are some tips and tricks that will make your learning process manageable as well as enjoyable:
1. Baby steps – Even just one part of Communications Essentials, such as the Meta-Model questions or State Management, can be overwhelming if you attempt to master the entire skill-set at once. The primary task in learning any new process is to first break it down into workable chunks. If you feel overwhelmed with what you want to learn, break it down into smaller components!
2. Pick somewhere and start! – If you have broken it down into manageable parts and are still feeling overwhelmed, it is most likely a matter of prioritization. You may be asking yourself, “Where do I start?”
Here are a few questions that you can ask yourself to assist with this process:
- “Which part, if I start it now, will help the process of learning the other parts?”
- “What part will have the most impact on my life today?”
- “Which part will be the most fun to play with today?”
3. Go out and practice – Turn the theory into reality! – Learning a new subject is great, but there is a big difference between effective understanding and effective action. Pick one of those small chunks, go out into the world and use your new skills… some of the skills can even be practiced while watching TV!
4. Establish a routine – Establish a routine to practice, even if only for a short time. Its better to commit to 2 minutes a day and follow through then to commit to 30 minutes a day and not. Make it a habit. You will eventually notice more and more opportunities to practice your new skills.
5. Start with you! – Personal power and congruency comes from ‘applying to self’ first. Upon finishing the Communications Essentials training, students tend to become most effective at the techniques that have had the most impact on their own lives. Experiencing it for yourself enriches your understanding of the tools and their benefits. Also, using such powerful tools on yourself is the best way to facilitate the personal change that will take your skills to the next level!
6. There is no failure, only feedback! – Use the feedback you receive to become more aware of what needs improvement, and always give yourself a pat on the back for your achievements and successes! The most important thing is practice, practice, practice!
7. And finally, enjoy yourself! – Have fun! You will learn more, in a shorter period of time, and maintain the learning over a longer period of time if you have fun while doing it!
We hope that you find these tips and tricks valuable, and incorporate them into your life. May your journey to becoming more masterful as a communicator be rewarding and fun!